Monday, June 28, 2010

When Soaps End

For years I recorded two soaps everyday. Guiding Light and As The World Turns. When Guiding Light ended I stopped watching As The World Turns also. It was so hard watching a show come to an end that I had invested YEARS of watching and getting to know and love the characters. Knowing that the same fate was about to come to ATWT was enough for me to cut the cord early.

Last night I watched the Daytime Emmy Awards. I wasn't totally interested in watching because there are not many shows that I care about on during the daytime anymore. I do watch All My Children now..I started watching it because several of the people from Guiding Light were on there (Tammy,Lu jack,Gus,Harley..now..Madison,David,Jake and I can't remember Harley's name, she's gone again already) So anyway, I was half watching and half reading blogs. Then came the tribute to Dick Clark. I actually had to google to see how old he was for Vic...81! Then came the musicians ...wow not only is Chubby Checker still alive but oh boy can he still twist!! When Dick Clark lost it and started crying I did too. Who doesnt remember American Bandstand?!

The rest of the show was kind of a blur. Jack and Carly both won awards for ATWT and then my mind started drifting off , thinking of all the cast and story lines that will now just be left to die. How can a show that has been around for over 50 years just end? I don't understand it.  Any other soap fans feeling lost out there?

0 comments: