Friday, October 5, 2012

Equal Rights

This week Vic (my partner) and I have been getting our affairs in order. We've seen an attorney to have our wills drawn up, power of attorney, medical power of attorney done and looked into life insurance and what will best protect us in case one of us would fall ill or die.

I know so many people  think the only reason gay people fight for gay marriage is so that we can have a ceremony and all the hoop la of a wedding. That is so far from the reason that most of us want marriage to be a legal option for us. It's more so we have the same rights as a married couple has. It's unfair that we have to spend so much more money just to protect ourselves. When we buy a home together we have to do it as joint tenants with the right of survivorship.

I know we have civil unions and domestic partnerships but they don't afford the same rights as "marriage" does when it comes to the laws in this country.  Some of my friends were surprised to hear that in Florida gay couples were not allowed to adopt a child and  Arkansas and Utah ban any unmarried straight or gay couples from adopting or fostering children. Mississippi bans gay couples, but not single gays, from adopting.  So much for what is best for the children. I bet those people would also be surprised to hear that in many states I could be fired for just being gay. 

That's all for my rant today...

0 comments: